https://www.polity.org.za
Deepening Democracy through Access to Information
Home / News / All News RSS ← Back
Bunia|Geneva|Democratic Republic Of Congo|Public Health|Vaccines|Ebola|Africa CDC|World Health Organisation|Thierno Balde|Wessam Mankoula
|||||
bunia|geneva|democratic-republic-of-congo|public-health|vaccines|ebola|africa-cdc|world-health-organisation-organization|thierno-balde|wessam-mankoula
Close

Email this article

separate emails by commas, maximum limit of 4 addresses

Sponsored by

Close

Article Enquiry

WHO says Congo Ebola outbreak can still be brought under control within three months


Close

WHO says Congo Ebola outbreak can still be brought under control within three months

Should you have feedback on this article, please complete the fields below.

Please indicate if your feedback is in the form of a letter to the editor that you wish to have published. If so, please be aware that we require that you keep your feedback to below 300 words and we will consider its publication online or in Creamer Media’s print publications, at Creamer Media’s discretion.

We also welcome factual corrections and tip-offs and will protect the identity of our sources, please indicate if this is your wish in your feedback below.


Close

Embed Video

WHO says Congo Ebola outbreak can still be brought under control within three months

Ebola vaccination
Photo by Reuters

18th August 2026

By: Reuters

SAVE THIS ARTICLE      EMAIL THIS ARTICLE

Font size: -+

A World Health Organization (WHO) official said on Tuesday it was still possible to bring under control an Ebola outbreak that is outpacing containment efforts and has become the second-deadliest on record.

The global health agency said earlier this month that reversing Ebola's spread would be possible within a three-month period, but since then there have been signs that it has worsened, expanding to a sixth province.

Advertisement

"About the next plan for the three months, yes, if you have the necessary resources, I think it will be possible to do that," Thierno Balde, WHO incident manager, told reporters in Geneva from Bunia, in the Democratic Republic of Congo. 

The outbreak, Congo's worst yet of 17, has so far killed at least 2 325 people.

Advertisement

Resources are currently lagging requirements, and the WHO has raised about 60% of the $115-million it is seeking for the Ebola response.

Other challenges include delayed detection, overwhelmed surveillance teams, armed conflict and a lack of vaccines and treatments for the rare Bundibugyo species of the virus. 

Still, containment efforts are ramping up and an extra 400 beds have been added in the past two weeks and more epidemiologists will be deployed to trace contacts of the sick, Balde said. 

"The situation is quite difficult, but people are working here day and night trying to control this outbreak," he told reporters.

Other leading officials told Reuters that the outbreak was a long way from being under control, pointing out that between 70-80% of new cases have no known link to patients, meaning the virus is still spreading unchecked in many areas.  

"We are far from discovering the magnitude of this outbreak," said Dr Wessam Mankoula, Africa CDC's head of emergency preparedness and response. 

"It will not be over in a few weeks or even months," he said. 

The WHO Emergency Committee meets on Tuesday on Ebola, which was deemed a public health emergency of international concern, or PHEIC, by the UN agency on May 17. The body will decide whether to extend the emergency and give states recommendations for controlling its spread.

EMAIL THIS ARTICLE      SAVE THIS ARTICLE      FEEDBACK

To subscribe email subscriptions@creamermedia.co.za or click here
To advertise email advertising@creamermedia.co.za or click here


About

Polity.org.za is a product of Creamer Media.
www.creamermedia.co.za

Other Creamer Media Products include:
Engineering News
Mining Weekly
Research Channel Africa

Read more

Subscriptions

We offer a variety of subscriptions to our Magazine, Website, PDF Reports and our photo library.

Subscriptions are available via the Creamer Media Store.

View store

Advertise

Advertising on Polity.org.za is an effective way to build and consolidate a company's profile among clients and prospective clients. Email advertising@creamermedia.co.za

View options

Email Registration Success

Thank you, you have successfully subscribed to one or more of Creamer Media’s email newsletters. You should start receiving the email newsletters in due course.

Our email newsletters may land in your junk or spam folder. To prevent this, kindly add newsletters@creamermedia.co.za to your address book or safe sender list. If you experience any issues with the receipt of our email newsletters, please email subscriptions@creamermedia.co.za