Transnet Group Capital (TGC) is the engine for delivering Transnet’s infrastructure investment and is a critical enabler to Transnet’s Market Demand Strategy (MDS). It has direct delivery responsibility for some R110 billion, making it an integral part of South Africa’s transportation success. The TGC now has these opportunities available for the following engineering professionals to be based in any of the 4 regions (Johannesburg, Durban, Port Elizabeth and Cape Town).
Reporting to the General Manager: Engineering and Design Services, the successful candidate will:
- Plan, organise, lead and control the technical outputs of the Engineering Department and external service providers in the conceptualisation (FER and FEL1), Pre-Feasibility (FEL2), Feasibility (FEL3) and Execution (FEL4) of various infrastructure programmes and projects
- Interpret strategies and develop roadmaps to ensure efficient and effective engineering design and technical support for the successful delivery of capital and capacity solutions
- Provide strategic direction and leadership to ensure a coordinated and integrated approach to capital solutions and infrastructure asset development and management in order to support Transnet’s 7-year market demand strategy and strategic objectives.
- A 4-year Engineering Bachelor’s degree: BSc Eng/BEng or BTech Eng (Electrical, Mechanical, Civil, etc)
- A Master’s in Business Administration (MBA) or Leadership (MBL) or Master’s in Engineering (MSc) will be advantageous
- Professionally registered as a Pr Eng or Pr Tech Eng with the ECSA • Professional registration as a PMP will be advantageous • 10-20 years’ experience at senior level in any of the following areas: * Port, Pipeline and Railway Infrastructure Engineering * Infrastructure and Asset Maintenance * Project and Programme Management * General Business Management
- A proven track record of developing value engineered technical infrastructure solutions • Knowledge and understanding of the principles of business, the application thereof, the opportunities within business and the seizure of such opportunities
- Knowledge and understanding of the principles of the engineering and design of large and small infrastructure projects in the Port, Rail and Pipeline environment
- Knowledge of the application of world-class engineering principles on infrastructure projects
- Sound knowledge and understanding of legislation pertaining to compliance, investment and risk management, process of evaluating regulatory and non-regulatory responses to financial and investment risk and selecting them in relation to their impact on the organisation
- Sound knowledge of the business environment, the relevant role-players within the business and their key responsibilities and outcomes • Sound knowledge and understanding of the policies, procedures and standards applied within the industry and their effect and impact on business
- The ability to interpret and implement compliance/risk management strategies, monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of the strategy
- The capacity to understand relevant financial and commercial information and apply this knowledge in a practical manner
- Knowledge of processes, systems and behaviour required to deliver large capital projects safely to schedule, quality and budget
- In-depth technical knowledge and application of best practices in the engineering and design of capital projects
- The ability to interact with people at all levels in the organisation and in the socioeconomic environment.
- Translate the Engineering and Design Services strategy into tactical and operational implementation plans and roadmaps for the respective region(s), for which the engineering services are being provided
- Manage the effective implementation of the plans and roadmaps, thereby supporting the successful delivery of programmes and projects
- Serve as a technical expert representative among the regional project execution teams and clients, through provision of integrated technical engineering support across engineering disciplines and providing fit-for-purpose, value engineered technical solutions to efficiently meet client requirements. Overall Management of the Engineering effort within a Regional Operation/Office:
- Lead the regional engineering teams from all engineering disciplines and sub-disciplines by promoting coordination and integration across all disciplines, in the delivery of engineering services
- Ensure that the engineering services provided comply with engineering standards, policies and norms
- Actively manage internal and external stakeholder relationships on behalf of the Engineering and Design Services Department within a region, which may include the Operating Divisions (OD), TGC regional Project and Construction Management teams, EPCM Consultants and Construction Contractors
- Identify and manage risks emanating from the sometimes conflicting priorities of stakeholders
- As part of the Engineering and Design Services leadership team, ensure that the regional engineering office is adequately and competently resourced, and that staff are motivated, developed and professionally managed, in line with good practice and Transnet’s HR policies and procedures
- Effectively manage the performance of the engineering team and individual employees to contribute to the achievement of TGC Performance Objectives and Targets
- Ensure that the regional engineering team has the required financial resources, through appropriate annual budgeting and management of the approved budgets, which entails effective control of cost and profit centres
- Take responsibility for the financial reporting as well as the management of Procurement and Supply Chain Management (PSCM) processes within the engineering department in line with Transnet’s relevant policies and procedures
- Ensure that the regional engineering team operates within Transnet’s Governance and Compliance Universe, which includes Engineering Codes and Standards, applicable labour laws and laws relating to all aspects of Transnet’s operations
- Take the lead on regional engineering risk management, including compilation and management of the Strategic and Operational Risk registers
- Lead in ensuring that engineering standards are enhanced through research and development and participation in education and awareness-creation efforts among engineering staff of the developments within all disciplines
- Manage career development planning and mentoring of engineering staff, by ensuring that a learning and innovative environment exists.
Preference will be given to suitably qualified applicants who are members of the designated groups in line with the Employment Equity Plan and targets of the organisation/operating division.
Interested applicants should forward completed Curricula Vitae to Recruitment.TCP@transnet.net
The closing date for applications will be 27 October 2017. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that HR has received the application before this date.
Please note: Transnet, its employees or representatives will never solicit a fee from job seekers. Any such requests constitute fraud. Please report any suspicious activities in this regard to the Transnet anti-fraud line on 0800 003 056.