Transnet Group Capital (TGC) is the engine for delivering Transnet’s infrastructure investment and is a critical enabler to Transnet’s Market Demand Strategy (MDS). It has direct delivery responsibility for some R110 billion, making it an integral part of South Africa’s transportation success. The TGC now has these opportunities available for the following engineering professionals to be based in any of the 4 regions (Johannesburg, Durban, Port Elizabeth and Cape Town).
Reporting to the Technical Director, the successful candidate will:
- Take accountability for ensuring the efficient and effective delivery of all Engineering and Design elements within a project(s)/programme(s) and take accountability for the scope, cost, schedule and quality of Engineering and Design deliverables on all the phases of the project(s)/programme(s) - from Conceptualisation (FER & FEL1 ), Pre-feasibility (FEL2), Feasibility (FEL3), to Execution (FEL4)
- Make decisions and coordinate overall needs and direction in liaison with the Technical Director and Project Director
- Review the progress of the engineering and design elements regularly with the engineering discipline-specific managers, as necessary
- Ensure that Engineering Technical solutions are sustainable, fit-for-purpose and have adopted value engineering principles.
- A 4-year Engineering Bachelor’s degree: BSc Eng/B Eng in Electrical, Mechanical, Chemical or Civil Engineering
- A Master’s in Business Administration (MBA) or Leadership (MBL) or Master’s in Engineering (MSc) will be advantageous
- Professional certification with System Engineering by the Engineering Council of South Africa
The following will be advantageous:
- Professional registration as a Pr Eng with ECSA
- Professional registration as a PMP
- A minimum of 10-20 years’ experience at senior level in any of the following areas:
- Infrastructure Engineering
- Systems Engineering
- Infrastructure and Asset Maintenance
- Project and Programme Management
- General Business Management
- A proven track record of developing value engineered technical infrastructure solutions
- Sound knowledge of discipline-specific engineering technology in accordance with worldwide trends
- Knowledge of system engineering concepts and how these are applied to different engineering disciplines on capital infrastructure projects
- Knowledge and understanding of the principles of business, the application thereof, the opportunities within business and the seizure of such opportunities
- Knowledge and understanding of the principles of the engineering and design of large and small infrastructure projects in the port, rail and pipeline environment
- Knowledge of the application of world-class engineering principles on infrastructure projects
- Sound knowledge and understanding of legislation pertaining to compliance, investment and risk management, process of evaluating regulatory and non-regulatory responses to financial and investment risk and selecting them in relation to their impact on the organisation
- Sound knowledge of the business environment, the relevant role-players within the business and their key responsibilities and outcomes
- Sound knowledge and understanding of the policies, procedures and standards applied within the Industry and their effect and impact on business
- The ability to interpret and implement compliance/risk management strategies, monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of the strategy • The capacity to understand relevant financial and commercial information and apply this knowledge in a practical manner • Knowledge of processes, systems and behaviour required to deliver large capital projects safely to schedule, quality and budget
- In-depth technical knowledge and application of best practices in the engineering and design of capital projects.
- Manage engineering staff and work within a portfolio of disciplines in a Centre of Excellence team
- Exercise responsibility for engineering governance within a portfolio of disciplines, which will ensure the establishment of best practice, uniform technical criteria, standards and methods, thereby driving innovation and consistency in the quality of engineering solutions
- Provide expert technical framework on process, procedures and policies in key specialised engineering fields to engineering, programme and projects to improve quality of engineering on capital infrastructure projects
- Ensure the conceptualisation, development and implementation of an Engineering Management System in accordance with engineering business processes
- Ensure the research, dissemination and implementation of latest systems engineering concepts in TGC
- Ensure that engineering technical solutions are sustainable, fit-for-purpose and have adopted value engineering principles across both project and infrastructure life-cycle
- Provide support to the Project and Construction Management teams with respect to engineering and design processes and procedures matters on projects and programmes
- Efficiently and effectively deliver all Engineering and Design elements within a project and programme
- Provide leadership in planning, organising, controlling and monitoring business operations at a tactical level to ensure strategic outcomes are achieved
- Lead and oversee engineering capacity and capability development within TGC, including programmes for EIT, TIT and Engineers’ continual development and professionalism
- Take operational management and responsibility for engineering governance within TGC, which will ensure the establishment of best practice, uniform technical criteria, standards and methods, thereby driving innovation and consistency in the quality of engineering solutions.
Preference will be given to suitably qualified applicants who are members of the designated groups in line with the Employment Equity Plan and targets of the organisation/operating division.
Interested applicants should forward completed Curricula Vitae to Recruitment.TCP@transnet.net
The closing date for applications will be 27 October 2017. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that HR has received the application before this date.
Please note: Transnet, its employees or representatives will never solicit a fee from job seekers. Any such requests constitute fraud. Please report any suspicious activities in this regard to the Transnet anti-fraud line on 0800 003 056.