Transnet Group Capital (TGC) is the engine for delivering Transnet’s infrastructure investment and is a critical enabler to Transnet’s Market Demand Strategy (MDS). It has direct delivery responsibility for some R110 billion, making it an integral part of South Africa’s transportation success. The TGC now has these opportunities available for the following engineering professionals to be based in any of the 4 regions (Johannesburg, Durban, Port Elizabeth and Cape Town).
Reporting to the Technical Director, the successful candidate will:
- Take accountability for ensuring the efficient and effective delivery of all Engineering and Design elements within a project(s)/programme(s) and take accountability for the scope, cost, schedule and quality of Engineering and Design deliverables on all the phases of the project(s)/programme(s) - from Conceptualisation (FER & FEL1 ), Pre-feasibility (FEL2), Feasibility (FEL3), to Execution (FEL4)
- Make decisions and coordinate overall needs and direction in liaison with the Technical Director and Project Director
- Review the progress of the engineering and design elements regularly with the engineering discipline-specific managers, as necessary • Ensure that Engineering
- Technical solutions are sustainable, fit-for-purpose and have adopted value engineering principles.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Engineering: BSc Eng/B Eng or BTech Eng in Electrical,/Civil/Mechanical or alternatively an Architectural Bachelor’s degree: BArch/BArch (Prof)) (with BA Honours in Architecture)
- A Master’s in Business Administration (MBA) or Leadership (MBL) or Master’s in Engineering(MSc) or Master’s in Architecture will be advantageous • Professionally registered as a Pr Eng or Pr Tech Eng with ECSA or alternatively Pr Arch/Pr SArchT with SACAP
- Professional registration as a PMP will be advantageous
A minimum of 10-20 years’ Engineering and Design experience at senior level in the delivery of large capital infrastructure in the built environment industry in any of the following areas:
- Port, Pipeline and Railway Infrastructure Engineering
- Infrastructure and Asset Maintenance
- Project and Programme Management
- General Business Management
- A proven track record of developing value engineered technical infrastructure solutions
- Sound knowledge of discipline-specific engineering technology in accordance with worldwide trends
- Knowledge and understanding of the principles of business, the application thereof, the opportunities within business and the seizure of such opportunities
- Knowledge and understanding of the principles of the engineering and design of large and small infrastructure projects in the port, rail and pipeline environment
- Knowledge of the application of world-class engineering principles on infrastructure projects
- Sound knowledge and understanding of legislation pertaining to compliance, investment and risk management, process of evaluating regulatory and non-regulatory responses to financial and investment risk and selecting them in relation to their impact on the organisation
- Sound knowledge of the business environment, the relevant role-players within the business and their key responsibilities and outcomes
- Sound knowledge and understanding of the policies, procedures and standards applied within the industry and their effect and impact on business
- The ability to interpret and implement compliance/risk management strategies, monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of the strategy
- The capacity to understand relevant financial and commercial information and apply this knowledge in a practical manner
- Knowledge of processes, systems and behaviour required to deliver large capital projects safely to schedule, quality and budget
- In-depth technical knowledge and application of best practices in the engineering and design of capital projects.
- Manage engineering staff and work within a portfolio of disciplines in a regional engineering team • Act as discipline-specific technical expert in facilitating and reviewing technical documentation arising from PLP gate reviews
- Provide support to the Project and Construction Management teams with respect to engineering and design matters on projects and programmes
- Efficiently and effectively deliver all Engineering and Design elements within a project and/or programme
- Provide leadership in planning, organising, controlling and monitoring business operations at a tactical level to ensure strategic outcomes are achieved.
Preference will be given to suitably qualified applicants who are members of the designated groups in line with the Employment Equity Plan and targets of the organisation/operating division.
Interested applicants should forward completed Curricula Vitae to Recruitment.TCP@transnet.net
The closing date for applications will be 27 October 2017. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that HR has received the application before this date.
Please note: Transnet, its employees or representatives will never solicit a fee from job seekers. Any such requests constitute fraud. Please report any suspicious activities in this regard to the Transnet anti-fraud line on 0800 003 056.