Transnet Group Capital (TGC) is the engine for delivering Transnet’s infrastructure investment and is a critical enabler to Transnet’s Market Demand Strategy (MDS). It has direct delivery responsibility for some R110 billion, making it an integral part of South Africa’s transportation success. The TGC now has these opportunities available for the following engineering professionals to be based in any of the 4 regions (Johannesburg, Durban, Port Elizabeth and Cape Town).
Reporting to the Senior Manager: Engineering - Building and Bulk Materials Services, the successful candidates will:
- Investigate and solve engineering problems, design technical engineering solutions and develop technical documentation, to ensure the efficient and effective delivery of engineering projects within the mechanical segment of Engineering
- Be professionally responsible for complex engineering activities and problem-solving for the scope, cost and schedule on all phases of the various projects assigned to them
- Take engineering responsibility regarding quality assurance in terms of the relevant acts, for those projects assigned to the individual, to ensure compliance of final product with the design
- Take technical control of certain specified technical sections of the mechanical engineering segment.
- A 4-year Engineering degree (BSc Eng or BEng) in Mechanical Engineering
- Professionally registered as a Pr Eng with ECSA
- Specialisation in port, railway or pipeline infrastructure engineering will be advantageous
- A minimum of 5 years’ post-professional registration experience in Port and Railway Infrastructure Engineering OR Infrastructure and Asset maintenance
- Proven engineering design experience, of which at least 5 years should have been within the built environment industry
- Demonstrable experience in designing bulk materials handling engineering systems and related project implementations,
- including Tippler, conveyor systems, rotating machinery, etc
- In-depth technical knowledge and application of best practice in the engineering design of engineering projects
- Knowledge of application of diversified professional engineering concepts, theories and practices to achieve engineering objectives with versatility, judgement and perception
- Sound knowledge of all statutory, regulatory, safety, health and quality codes and standards governing the built environment industry
- The ability to lead and motivate a team and “get things done” within tight timelines
- Sound knowledge of Drawing Standards
- In-depth knowledge of structural/civil engineering analysis and design packages, such as Prokon
- Technical knowledge and application of best practice in the Coastal and Marine Engineering discipline for capital projects
- Knowledge of relevant legislation, and if applicable, town planning codes and by-laws
- Knowledge of codes and standards for his/her profession and specific engineering discipline • Knowledge of environmental and quality management
- Communication skills
- Problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Negotiation skills
- Conflict management skills.
- Staff, plan, organise, lead, coordinate and control the technical and administrative activities of the regional Engineering department at Transnet Group Capital
- Initiate, facilitate and manage the formal design engineering, auditing and engineering review processes across all projects undertaken
- Ensure world-class, safe and fit-for-purpose rail, marine and pipeline infrastructure is established in support of Transnet’s objectives
- Ensure that engineering designs and applications comply with all statutory, regulatory, safety, health and quality requirements, whilst ensuring environmental and business sustainability
- Undertake in-depth design reviews of all design documents, including constructability and HAZOP reviews and, as applicable, perform independent reviews of all safety critical designs
- Collaborate with the various Project Managers regarding the specification of design deliverables (eg drawings, specifications, design criteria, technical reports, technical adjudication of contracts) and the concomitant estimation of man-hours to provide same
- Provide technical engineering inputs into the execution, feasibility, pre-feasibility and concept phases of projects that may be initiated as part of the long-term infrastructure investment schedule
- Identify and plan the work efforts, assigning responsibilities, establishing goals and monitoring the progress of the engineering design effort assigned to specific projects such that the project objectives are achieved on schedule and within budget
- Establish and maintain relationships with the client and external stakeholders at Senior/Executive level and actively assist Senior Management on issues related to design service performance, including implementation of corrective actions • Proactively recommend and implement corrective strategies where needed to best meet Transnet’s overall project objectives
- Create and maintain effective communication channels between project team members and operational divisions and ensure coordination and cooperation between all stakeholders occur
- Provide leadership and facilitate the necessary mentorship and skills transfer within the Engineering Department.
Preference will be given to suitably qualified applicants who are members of the designated groups in line with the Employment Equity Plan and targets of the organisation/operating division.
Interested applicants should forward completed Curricula Vitae to Recruitment.TCP@transnet.net
The closing date for applications will be 27 October 2017. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that HR has received the application before this date.
Please note: Transnet, its employees or representatives will never solicit a fee from job seekers. Any such requests constitute fraud. Please report any suspicious activities in this regard to the Transnet anti-fraud line on 0800 003 056.