Transnet Group Capital (TGC) is the engine for delivering Transnet’s infrastructure investment and is a critical enabler to Transnet’s Market Demand Strategy (MDS). It has direct delivery responsibility for some R110 billion, making it an integral part of South Africa’s transportation success. The TGC now has these opportunities available for the following engineering professionals to be based in any of the 4 regions (Johannesburg, Durban, Port Elizabeth and Cape Town).
Reporting to the Technical Director, the successful candidate will:
- Develop and update methods and standards for engineering technology as inputs into the development of infrastructure and asset utilisation in support of the market demand strategy
- Conduct research and develop leading-edge engineering fire and gas-related systems, products and processes that will improve performance, efficiencies and effectiveness within Transnet as well as international markets
- As an expert within the fire and gas sub-discipline, ensure that the related Engineering Technical solutions are sustainable, fit-for-purpose and have adopted value engineering principles
- Provide technical subject matter expert consulting services to the different business units and provide best practice technology principles to improve operational efficiency and effectiveness
- Support the training and development of engineers and technicians by providing expert fire and gas discipline-specific guidance, advice, mentorship and coaching
- Advise on the continuous improvement of the Engineer Development programme to ensure development of exceptional technical skills, competence and knowledge.
- A 4-year Engineering degree (BSc Eng or B Eng) in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering
- A Master’s degree in Engineering in one of the various Transnet engineering disciplines
- Professionally registered as a Pr Eng with ECSA • Registration as a Registered Fire Protection Systems Inspector with ECSA
- Specialisation in Port, Railway or Pipeline Infrastructure Engineering will be advantageous
10-15 years’ experience at senior level in any of the following areas:
- Port, Railway and Pipeline Infrastructure Engineering
- Infrastructure and Asset Maintenance
- Applied research and development with world-class engineering technology and best practice
- Knowledge and understanding of the principles of business, the application thereof, the opportunities within business and the seizure of such opportunities
- Knowledge and understanding of the principles of the engineering and design of large and small infrastructure projects in the port, rail and pipeline environment
- Knowledge of the application of world-class engineering principles on infrastructure projects
- Sound knowledge and understanding of the policies, procedures and standards applied within the industry and their effect and impact on business
- Knowledge of processes, systems and behaviour required to deliver large capital projects safely to schedule, quality and budget
- In-depth technical knowledge and application of best practices in the engineering and design of capital projects
- Applied knowledge of research and development methodologies, analysis and practical application
- In-depth knowledge of the requirements of professional bodies and the translation of these into appropriate Training and Development plans
- Applied knowledge of and experience in Fire Protection Systems inspection
- Extensive knowledge of engineering governance practices, which include standards, processes, policies and systems
- Advanced business reporting and communication skills enabling verbal and written communication at all levels
- Advanced technical report-writing skills
- The ability to perform research and development and translate the outcomes into practical
- Willing to travel extensively, locally and internationally.
Preference will be given to suitably qualified applicants who are members of the designated groups in line with the Employment Equity Plan and targets of the organisation/operating division.
Interested applicants should forward completed Curricula Vitae to Recruitment.TCP@transnet.net
The closing date for applications will be 27 October 2017. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that HR has received the application before this date.
Please note: Transnet, its employees or representatives will never solicit a fee from job seekers. Any such requests constitute fraud. Please report any suspicious activities in this regard to the Transnet anti-fraud line on 0800 003 056.