Government will embark on the 6th National Imbizo Focus Week of the current Administration from 17 to 23 April 2017. President Jacob Zuma has declared 2017 as the year of Oliver Reginald Tambo. This year marks the centenary of the late President and national Chairperson of the ANC, an international icon and hero of the South African liberation struggle.
In celebrating his legacy, National Imbizo Focus Week will focus on the implementation of our National Development Plan (NDP) vision 2030, which underpins the Medium Term Strategic Framework 2014-2019.
The week is principally a heightened period of engagements between Members of the executive and citizens through on-going dialogues. During the Focus Week, leaders across the three spheres of government will interact with citizens countrywide.
“Government encourages communities to participate in the izimbizo and engage with government officials across the country, in addressing public service challenges in order to improve and provide a better life for all”, said the Minister of Communications, Ms Ayanda Dlodlo. The Minister further added, ”The Imbizo Focus Week takes place during Freedom Month and before Freedom Day, 27 April 2017, where, on this day in 1994,South Africans from all walks of life celebrate the historical day when they first cast the vote for a free democratic country”.
- The opening of Imbizo Focus Week will see the Economic Sectors, Employment and Infrastructure Development Cluster led by Department of Rural Development and Land Reforms.
- The Justice Crime Prevention and Security Cluster will focus on drug and substance abuse.
- On Governance and Administration, focus will be on the success of public employment programmes and successes in fighting corruption.
- Social Protection, Community and Human Development cluster Ministers will focus on social security programmes and social cohesion.
- On International Cooperation, Trade and Security focus will be on the Life and Legacy of OR Tambo and a series of lectures on Freedom values partnered with freedom month activities.
Issued by GCIS