For Creamer Media in Johannesburg, I’m Sane Dhlamini.
Making headlines: ANC regional task team in Moses Mabhida dissolved, Gigaba must appear before inquiry on Gupta naturalisation next week And, R1-billion 'lost' to cash-in-transit robbers in 8 years
ANC regional task team in Moses Mabhida dissolved
The ANC in KwaZulu-Natal yesterday announced it dissolved the Regional Task Team for the Moses Mabhida region, which was supposed to hold an elective conference in Pietermaritzburg last week.
Provincial spokesperson Nomagugu Simelane-Zulu said the dissolution of the interim structure was taken at a provincial executive committee meeting held on Monday in Durban.
She said that the region's failure to hold the conference had presented a challenge to the ruling party in the province as there was an instruction that regions and provinces should hold elective gatherings before the end of August.
Gigaba must appear before inquiry on Gupta naturalisation next week
Home Affairs Minister Malusi Gigaba must appear before the Portfolio Committee on Home Affairs next week for an inquiry into the naturalisation of members of the Gupta family.
The committee set aside three days next week – Wednesday to Friday – to hold the investigation into the process followed in the naturalisation of the Guptas.
According to a statement from committee chairperson Hlomani Chauke yesterday, the committee has concluded the initial phase of the inquiry, the collection of all relevant information and has identified gaps which need to be clarified by certain people to help the committee make a decision.
The committee has resolved to call the following people to give evidence – the MEC for the North West department of education and sports development, the head of department of the North West department of education and sports development, former home affairs director general Mkuseli Apleni, former home affairs employee GC Christians and Gigaba.
R1-billion 'lost' to cash-in-transit robbers in 8 years
More than R1-billion has been "lost" as a result of cash-in-transit robberies in the eight years between 2008 and 2016, according to the Directorate for Priority Crime Investigation.
The DPCI, or the Hawks as they are more commonly known, granted a Public Access to Information Application lodged by News24, providing a five-page document that is apparently part of a presentation on cash-in-transit robberies.
According to the document, the highest cash losses were reported in 2014, a total of R213.9-million and R187.7-million in 2016.
Cross-pavement robberies were the highest reported with 1 163 incidents in the same period, followed by robberies on retail premises at 606 incidents.
Vehicle-on-road incidents total 180 in this period.
That’s a roundup of news making headlines today
For a news update each morning, register for Polity’s free daily newsletter